Saturday, October 3, 2009

My New Found Love "Willard Bay"

Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Weather: Cloudy, cold, calm, 50's
Moon Phase: 98% Moon
Location: Willard Bay
Bait: White Curly Tail Grub, 1/4 oz jighead
Who Went: John, Me

Since Wipers are one of the last game fish I have yet to catch in Utah, John and I decided it was time to change that. We headed to Willard Bay under rain threatening clouds and cool temps. When we got there the lake was calm and cool. We launched on the north end and started fishing the north east corner along the dike. Nothing was showing on the fish finder nor were we getting any bites. We must have moved 10 times trying to locate fish. We fished freeway bay, the island, all over the northeast corner and around the north marina, without seeing more than an occassional single fish go across the fish finder screen. Just as we were starting to get down on ourselves, I noticed what looked to be a small boil to the north of us! I fired up the big motor and cruised over as fast as I could. I saw one jump and casted right to him. Within seconds it was on. I could not believe it, this was the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught. In my mind I was thinking wow my first wiper is going to be the state record! It took drag numerous times and when it would see the boat it was off to the races again! Once I finally got it in John was already hooked up with one of his own. I waited with the net to land his fish and I just happened to glance at the fish finder only to see it was a black out with fish everywhere! We landed Johns fish and just tossed it in the boat so we could continue to fish. I missed three more bites and then the fish were gone! We continued to cast for another hour and I ended up picking up one more straggler before I had to leave due to other commitments. I wanted to stay all night after feeling the battle they put on! It's safe to say I might be seeing a little more of Willard in the future! Good times!

No comments: