Saturday, June 28, 2008

Here Kitty Kitty

Fishing Time: 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Weather: Hot, clear skies, high 90's, got windy at night
Water Temp: 70-72 degrees
Who Went: JJ, Ed, Me
We went out to Utah Lake for what was to be an all night catfest, until the bugs changed our plans. We got there at 5:00 p.m. and launched out of Provo Boat Harbor, heading straight for Mud Lake. We fished quite a few areas in Mud Lake but couldn't find any kitty cats that were hungry enough to bite. So, we moved to where the Spanish Fork River comes into the lake and again the same luck there. I was not going to be denied today as I have had a rough time finding Channel Cats this year so we made the jaunt out to Bird Island where I usually have success. Bird Island was a little harder to find this year with the water so high there wasn't much of an island left. It's scary though cause you know there is an island just below the water.
We spent a half hour trying to find the right spot to fish until we found an area that had a lot of humps and dips. This seemed like the perfect structure for catfish to hide in so we threw anchor. I rigged one pole with weight and carp meat and sent it to the bottom and then one with a bobber and shrimp. Shortly after both poles were out I had my first hit on the carp meat. I set the hook and the ride began. I could tell it was a good fish and was excited when we landed this guy.
The Belly on him was huge and he weighed in at 7 pounds. Not more than 3 minutes after putting this one in the livewell I looked out and couldn't see my bobber. I looked down and my line was tight so I grabbed my pole and fish on. It was another good fight and this one was just under 7 pounds.
I rigged up another shrimp on my bobber and threw out in the same spot and within 30 seconds I caught another carbon copy of this one. Then it was JJ's turn, he had on a good Channel Cat, but unfortunately it decided to pull him into the rocks and snag him up breaking his line. The action was hot for a few minutes and then out of nowhere the wind kicked up and broke our anchor loose. We drifted out of our money hole and the fishing died. I tried to get us back to where we were but the wind wouldn't let us anchor there. It got a little crazy for a minute with the wind blowing not being able to anchor and the boat kept drifting into dangerously shallow water. It was just about dark and the wind was bad enough that I made an executive decision to head for the harbor as it is a pretty good clip from Bird Island to the Provo Boat Harbor. I thought we could just fish the dikes at the harbor all night and leave when we got tired. Bad Idea! Of course the wind died just as we got to the harbor and made me realize why wind is not such a bad thing. It keeps the bugs away! They were out in full force! It was to the point where you couldn't open your mouth without enjoying a bug dinner. We called it a night and got out of there. We didn't have a whole lot of success but the three I caught right in a row were all really nice fish.

No comments: