Sunday, August 26, 2007

Monster Bass!

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 12:30 p.m. - 4: 30 p.m.
Weather: sunny, clear, 90's
I missed the feel of having a bass on the end of my line after catching all those trout at the berry so I headed to the old faithful I-80 Pond. When I got there I was a little nervous about the conditions. The moss has overtaken half the pond and it has lost almost half its water. This didn't leave many places for good fishing but luckily my favorite place to fish was not mossed over and is the deepest part of the pond. I started out throwing my trusty I-80 set up by drop shotting a powerbait minnow. It was a good choice as I started catching bass one after another! I caught this dink to start things off! After a few more dinks about this size I upgraded to a little larger bass and pulled this medium sized bass out. I then started catching this size one after another until my arm was about to fall off. A few bluegill got into the mix also. I then decided that maybe switching techniques that maybe I would be able to keep some of these smaller bass away and get into some of the larger bass. It turned out to be a great move! I put on a Senko with a weighted hook like shown in this picture. I started casting and noticed that I wasn't catching anything. I wasn't sure if this was good or bad. Just as I was about to give up on my new tactic I pulled in the nicest bass of the day with this 17 incher. Now I was thinking
maybe I had found the ticket to the larger bass. Another long period went by with no bites and I was working my way back to where I entered the water when I saw a chunk of old plastic lying in the water looking almost like a little bass home. Well I think it was because as soon as I casted to it I was slammed by what seemed like a monster. It was! I saw him surface and new that this was the bass of a lifetime. I fought him out into open water where he tried to go strait down into the weeds. I knew I couldn't let him get into the weeds or I would never get him out so I heaved as much tension as I could without snapping my line. I was able to get him close to me and I just threw my hand down his throat not caring if I got hooked, I had to get this big boy! I lipped him and held him up and he was huge. Instantly I started thinking about the fact that I was alone and would not be able to get good pictures. I weighed him and he came in at 6 pounds. I couldn't believe what had just happened and I was shaking like a leaf. I took the best pictures I could but I have already been questioned (my dad) on the size of the fish due to the poor quality of the photos. I knew this would happen and I was angry but I don't have to prove it I was there and it is the truth. The only way to scale this fish at all is to look at it compared to the size of my fist, still not a good comparison but the best I have to offer. Believe it or not this fish was a MONSTER in real life.







4 comments:

Jacewardle said...

Hey I was just wondering where is this pond off i-80, and what will work here eg.. Worms, lizards, flukes. Get back to me. thanks

Simone Gambler said...

WOW, that's soooo big! How were you able to catch that one? I tried fishing once and it's really enjoying! I'll definitely try it again this summer. =)

Melanie Daryl said...

Well, sometimes, when you go fishing, you should really have the “Never say die” attitude. Haha! Seriously, because there are times that you really just have to wait in order for you to feel a tug on the line. And for those who are really into fishing, I know that you will not be satisfied until you catch the “Big One”, right? Your story simply tells a lesson that you if you really want to catch the big ones, you must have a fighting spirit. Go for it! :D

Idalia Conn said...

Great catch! That’s a real monster. Well, learning some bass fishing techniques takes time, you know. Get plenty of practice to sharpen your skills, Chris.