Saturday, May 17, 2008

May at Pineview

Fishing Time: Saturday all Day, 7 to 12 p.m. Sunday
Weather: Hot 90's
Water Temp: 55-62 degrees
Who Went: JJ, John, Me


After watching another heartbreaking season with the Jazz losing the Western Conference Semi Finals to the L.A. Lakers, I got my mind off of things by spending the night up at Pineview Reservoir with Johnny Leech. We got there early Saturday morning and left Sunday about noon. We stayed at the Anderson Cove Campgrounds. Saturday morning seemed to be promising with warm weather and no wind! John had one on early right off Cemetery Point, but didn't quite make it in the boat. Soon after, I landed my first smallmouth of the trip. We then went to the north side of Cemetery Point where all the submerged brush is at the mouth of Middle Fork. This is where we saw numerous muskies basking in the sun, but they would not hit anything. John made a 20 dollar bet with me that he could get one to hit on his magic leeches and I gladly took the bet as I have never seen a muskie hit while sun bathing! He threw his leech in right on top of one and it instantly started to turn. It went right up to his leech and gave it a sniff. I thought for a moment that I was about to lose, but then it just shrugged it off and turned away! They just don't hit when they are in this mode. I didn't collect on the bet cause that is the closest I have ever seen anyone come to catching one like that. We ended up in the back of Middle Fork where we saw people catching fish. As soon as we started casting John had one on. While he was reeling it in, I also had one on! Then John yelled "Muskie, grab the net," I didn't know what to do cause I was still fighting a smallmouth that I had on. I tried to get mine in quick to run and help but it was to late! The muskie came off right at the boat! It wouldn't have been a big deal but this was John's first Tiger Muskie! Ouch! I felt bad, and continued to take crap about saving my dink smallmouth while letting his first muskie go astray! I deserved it! Shortly after, JJ came up to spend the evening on the water with us to try his luck with the elusive Tiger Musky! He picked a bad time as we didn't put anything else in the boat the entire night! Sunday we woke up and were on the water at 7:00 a.m. We went straight to Middle Fork to try our luck for some early morning Crappie but did not find them. We decided to go back to the sunken trees and muskie hunt. There they were just as the day before, but would not take anything! We did get into some smallmouth and I landed one around 3 pounds. By noon it was 95 degrees and this early in the year we were not used to these kind of temps so we hi tailed it out of there and went home!

No comments: