Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Long Way From Home!

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Weather: cloudy, 80's, rain storm moving in

With a company truck and free gas to expend while living in Ogden I decided to take a drive up north after work today and visit a reservoir I had only heard about and read reports of. Newton Reservoir is north west of Logan and only a short distance from Idaho. I went there because I heard there were some nice Largemouth and the occasional small Tiger Musky. When I got there I realized I may have made a mistake because the reservoir was very low in water due to the current drought we are in. It is also a very small narrow reservoir and it is packed with water skiers. I wasn't sure if there was room for me on my tube. Of course that isn't going to stop me from my new found addiction to Largemouth Bass! Right where I launched my tube was an old log that was sticking out of the water and with my knowledge of bass I figured no better place for them to live, so I threw out my chartreuse spinnerbait before I got in my tube. On the second cast I caught the first Largemouth of the day. Unfortunately it got off right at shore so no pic. I then launched the tube and began fishing. I was having trouble landing anything with the spinnerbait but was hesitant to switch because its a great lure to land bass and Musky with, but I soon changed to a bright green zoom worm rigged wacky style on a drop shot set up. I was using bright colors cause the water was really murky. First cast I could tell I had found the panfish and they wouldn't leave it alone. I soon pulled in this monster Crappie. Then I caught another small Perch that fell off right at my float tube so I decided I had better go back to a bigger bait cause I didn't want to deal with these pesky things. I put on a bright multicolored spinnerbait. It wasn't long til I landed this medium sized Largemouth! Soon after I started getting pummeled by wake from the skiers and I wish I would have taken a picture to show how close they were coming to me! It started to get windy and a storm was moving in so I decided that I had better get off the lake any way. This picture shows the storm. When I was driving away from the lake the sun was going down and the sunset was absolutely gorgeous. I snapped these photos and they came out really cool. The way the sunset was reflecting off the water made it unbelievable, and if you look close at one of the pics you might see an animal hiding. It was an interesting trip to Newton Reservoir but I'm not sure it got my attention enough to ever make it back again, but who knows what the future has in store!

No comments: