Friday, August 17, 2007

A Berry Good Day!

Moon Phase:

Fishing Time: 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

Weather: Rain, then cloudy, 70's

I pulled up to Strawberry in a pouring rain, and the Pelicans greeted me as you can see here. I got there at 8:00 a.m. but waited out the rain til 8:30 and then hit the water. I was fishing just north west of the Ladders. My plan of attack was to find a school and then sit on top of them and jig. It didn't start out the way I had hoped and I couldn't find any fish anywhere. I started getting a few bites here and there but they were only small bumps and then gone. After 7 hits (yes I counted), I was starting to get frustrated. Just as the thought of a skunk was entering my mind, I finally had a hard hit and was able to land this Cutthroat. I still wasn't sure if I had foundwhere they were holding or if I just found a lonely wanderer, but was reassured when I landed another Cutthroat on my next drop down! I found them! I then caught five in a row on each consecutive drop down after that. I only took this one pic as the fish were very feisty and didn't like the idea of pausing for a snap shot. The glory didn't last to long as I got stuck on fish number 9. Hitting the double digit number always seems tough, if you can get by it then it seems like you past the plateau and you can catch as many more as you want, but getting through it always seems hard. When people start seeing fish caught it doesn't take long until the walls around you start to close in. I was soon swarmed with boats around me! I finally gave up and succumbed to the number 9 and started paddling my way back to the truck. The storm moving in from the south east also helped in my decision to call it a day. All fish were caught using a white jig tipped with a minnow. This picture shows the storm that made me go home.

No comments: