Saturday, February 2, 2008

Perch Bustin at Yuba!

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Weather: Morning snow, clear afternoon, high 30's
It was time for a little perch bustin and Yuba was the place to be! On the way down it was a total blizzard and we were all packed in the Kinder motor home! We saw these elk just off the road on highway 89. When we got to Yuba and it was already packed!We set up shop right in the middle of the pack and started throwin the perch on the ice! JJ started it off with a nice perchzilla! Soon after we all started landing fish, except Ed!

My moms friend Teri Vanwinkle has a nephew, John, that moved here from Ohio and she said he liked to fish! So I invited him along for the ride and he said "cool I've got all my gear." Little did I know that meant surf rods made for catching ocean fish! Here is a pic of his rod.
We all laughed at him but it didn't stop him from slaying the perch with the rest of us, oh except Ed! We were all using various perch busting small lures and jigs tipped with minnow or meal worm and then we each put out a pike pole with an anchovy, but none of us had any takers. We were trying hard to get Ed on the board. We were all just knockin em dead and Ed could not even manage a bite! I finally gave him my pole and put him in my hole with my jig and the fish finder to see if we could land him a perch!
After a few misses and us pokin fun at him, he finally got on the board with a nice perchzilla!
We stayed until about 1:00 and then got a weird urge to try Utah Lake! So we stopped with 33 perch and hit the road! I left my camera in the motor home when we got to Utah Lake, but it wasn't that exciting anyway. JJ landed 1 perch and we stayed for an hour or less and then headed for home! We definitely got our perch fix in for the year and thats enough for me. Now I wanna find the big fish! It was a really fun trip for a change though!

No comments: