Saturday, February 7, 2009

Perching at Yuba Again

Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Weather: Foggy, no wind, low 40's
Moon Phase: 95 % moon
Location: Yuba
Ice Conditions: Soft edges, plank needed, 14" of white cloudy ice, no snow
Bait: Glow rat finky tipped with wax worm
Who Went: Dave, Gregg, JJ, Cody, Gary (Cody's dad), John, Me
I'm not sure how I got talked into going perch fishing two weeks in a row, but it happened! We went down to Yuba for the second week in a row. Some of it had to do with the fact that I ate the perch from last weeks trip and I must say, they were pretty darn good! This time we had a big group of people so that we could keep enough perch for everybody that wanted to take some home to eat. The problem was that the perch must have known, so they went into hiding! Cody and his dad Gary had the lake looking like swiss cheese with all the holes they drilled trying to find some active fish! I also drilled my fair share. Cody and Gary proved to be the perch experts once again by catching more than everyone else. They found a spot that was finally producing fish. It wasn't hot but at least we were catching a few. At one point I started day dreaming about summer and chasing those toothy northern pike from the boat. I looked over and saw one of my favorite pike points.
It's tough to catch fish when your heart just isn't in it, and that's how perch fishing was for me. I ended up landing one perch. Cody and Gary accounted for most of the days catch, so we let them take home all the perch. I think we caught close to 20 between us all.
I have definitely had enough perch fishing for the year, and the next time I head Yuba's direction, perch will not be the targeted species! So now your all thinking, how could a trip where you only caught one perch get any worse? Well, how about getting a speeding ticket on the drive down! Yep, I got another ticket! I haven't had a ticket in almost a decade, and then wham! Two tickets in a matter of 3 weeks! Not to mention this is two days after Cari and I found out we owe the government 900 dollars in taxes this year! I have never owed on taxes either! When it rains it pours I guess!

No comments: