Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Musky Skunk

Fishing Time: 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Weather: calm, clear, 70's
Moon Phase: 39% Moon
Location: Newton Reservoir
Bait: EVERYTHING
Who Went: Rick, Me

Hit Newton Reservoir tonight from shore with Rick. Arrived at 5:00 p.m. and fished until dark. I threw spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swimbaits, tube jigs, mepps spinners, blue fox spinners, musky killers, jointed rapalas, rapalas in chartreuse, silver, gold and firetiger, storm perch swimbaits, and Rick even used his fly rod for awhile. I retrieved them at every depth and speed including dragging bottom, right on top, middle, lower, higher, faster, slower, and just plain deadsticking it, and none of it seemed to matter. Towards dark we started seeing musky's swirling around and I had two follows on a swimbait, but no bites for either of us. I was so depressed I couldn’t even pull the camera out to take a picture. I caught one 8-inch largemouth on a 6-inch swimbait. It seemed the swimbaits got the most attention, but still caught nothing! That makes a total of 4 trips to Newton reservoir with zero bites from musky. Flat out depressing!

No comments: