Friday, December 9, 2011

Bluegill December

Fishing Time: 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, no wind, 40's
Moon Phase: 99% Moon
Location: Utah Lake tributary
Bait: Largemouth - Christmas colored curly tail, Bluegill - worm and hook.
Who Went: John, Me


I had a half day off yet again, and figured I would go on another fish hunt with Johnny Leach this afternoon. I was thinking we should try and find a few whitebass for the freezer this time since I’ve already got a shelf full of bluegill. We started on the Jordan River below the pump house at Utah Lake where I know a little spot that is fed by warm springs and usually attracts fish during the colder months of the year. The fish ended up being there, but so were the fishermen. I was disappointed to see so many people there and once again another secret is gone! The fishermen were catching tiny crappie one after another, but none were big enough to eat. I wasn’t in the mood to combat fish so we moved on to the Lindon Boat Harbor in search of some whitebass. The harbor is iced over with this recent cold snap and there were already a few holes pre-drilled for us when we arrived. We fished for 15 minutes with no bites, and that’s all it took to figure out the white bass were not active, so we left the harbor and headed back to our old reliable bluegill spot where we have been knocking them dead. This time I decided to make a sneak attack when we first got there and throw something that might entice a largemouth to bite. My first cast with my Christmas colored (no pun intended) curly tailed grub landed me a nice 13 inch largemouth!I casted a few more times and was able to land two more small ones. I guess the fish were feeling the Christmas spirit! They soon figured out we were there and the hits subsided. The bluegill fishing was the same as last week with one on almost every cast. I would try and pull my worm away from the smaller ones this time and patiently wait for a bigger one to bite. A couple times I enticed another largemouth bass to hit, and was able to land one more on a worm. We only kept about 15 of the biggest bluegill along with two largemouths, and it was a good thing, because John ended up leaving before filleting them and any more would have been a nightmare to do myself. I added three more zip loc bags of meat to the freezer for a grand total of eight large bags! I think it’s time to have a bluegill fish fry!

No comments: