Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Lonely Fly Fishing on the Hams Fork

Fishing Time:  6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Weather:  Rain, Cloudy, T-70s
Moon Phase:  1% Moon
Location:  Hams Fork River - Kemmerer, Wyoming
Bait:  Assorted nymphs, dry flies, and streamers
Who Went:  Me
I was able to sneak out and go fishing one evening while working in Kemmerer, Wyoming and drove up to Lake Viva Naughton where I parked and walked down to the Hams Fork River below the dam.  
It was a warm cloudy night with light rain showers and the bugs were out in full force.  Lucky for me, not many were mosquito's, but I think the fish were in seventh heaven with a constant dinner buffet floating on the water.  It made for some tough fishing as I used dry flies and nymphs to no avail.  I finally landed one small brown on a streamer, but that was it.  The weather made for some awesome views though and the scenery on this river is worth the walk.  I may be working up that way again in the near future and I can’t wait to give it another go.  Hopefully the bugs will have subsided by then and give me more of an advantage.

I fished a community pond near the Naughton Power Plant the next night for a few minutes, but the wind blew me and my fly rod off the lake.  Imagine that... wind in Wyoming.  One of my work contacts up there is a local of Kemmerer and told me there are some big browns in this pond that come shallow and get active in the fall.  Not a horrible spot to try as its 5 minutes from my job-site.

I took a couple nice photos of the storm moving in over Lake Viva Naughton right at sunset...

No comments: