Saturday, July 26, 2014

New Moon Topwater Action

Fishing Time:  10:00 PM to 1:00 AM         
Weather:  cloudy, calm, dark, T-80s
Moon Phase:  New Moon
Location:  Golf Course Pond
Best Baits:  Topwater Popper
Who Went:  Bobber John, Dunc

For a long time Bobber John and I have wanted to fish this pond at a nearby golf course for some topwater largie action.  We finally made it happen and the night seemed perfect.  The pond was glass with no wind and fish were rising and hungry.  With the new moon it was tough to see the hits.  We relied on the sense of sound and feel instead, but occasionally the fireworks from the Pioneer Day celebration would light up the sky enough to get a look at your topwater lure plunking along through the calm water. 
Soon after we began casting, Bobber was yelling fish on and landed a nice chunky largemouth. 
It was tough pulling the fish up onto the bank because of the ten foot ring of moss surrounding the ponds entire shoreline.  We made it work, but we never knew if the fish were big until we pulled 10 lbs of moss off them to see. 

After a few more casts I got on the board with a clone of Bobbers…
We caught a few largies and missed a few bites, but it wasn’t red hot fishing.  It was fun though and scratched our fishing itch for the week.  I think this pond could really produce some great topwater action a little earlier in the summer before the moss becomes too thick.  We will have to try it again a bit earlier next year.  The moss was pretty bad this trip.  I leave you with Bobber trying to put on his "this is lame" face after catching the smallest bass of the night... 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The "golf" ponds used to be a short walk or bike ride away for me. I'm guessing you were on the bigger South pond? The smaller North pond is right across the street from my old house. That's the only place I've ever caught Largies. I'm missing out, I know. Are you planning on any evening walleye outings to DC this year? I finally got a boat, and I'd love to have you along if you're interested. Or if you have an open seat on yours, I'd be happy to help with fuel. I'd love to learn from someone as dedicated to fishing as you and you're buddies. Thanks for the reports. This is Jeremy, I used to work with your cousin Phil. Still hoping to get out on the water with you some time.

Dunc said...

Hey Jeremy, I don't have any plans of hitting Deer Creek this fall. My time will be filled chasing spawning brown trout. Keep in touch and maybe we can hit the water sometime.