Saturday, January 20, 2018

Post Cold Front Blues

Fishing Time: 8:30 AM to 1:00 PM
Weather:  Cool, slight breeze, T-60
Moon Phase: 12% Moon
Location:  Lower Otay Reservoir
Best Bait: The Ned Rig, green pumpkin
Who Went: Dunc
You get used to the same beautiful weather here in San Diego and when a storm front moves through it makes you think, oh yeah, the weather can change here.  The last couple days have been windy and cold, so I was a bit worried about my fishing this week.  But, with only one day off a week, it doesn’t leave any options of when I can fish.  Today was post storm conditions.  Cold with clear skies after the storm had passed through.  In my opinion, the worst day to fish.
My hunch proved to be right and I had a tough day on the water.  Not only did I struggle to get bites, but even when I got them, they kept spitting the hook back in my face halfway to the tube.  Frustrating.  I managed a few small bass like the one below, but that was it for the day.
It was interesting dropping live shiners below my float tube where I could watch the bait on my fish finder.  I could see fish come up from the bottom to look at it all day, but couldn’t get them to bite.  I didn’t land one fish on a shiner today.  All fish were caught on the Ned Rig in 10-15 ft of water.

No comments: