Wednesday, February 7, 2018

New Area at Lower Otay Lake

Fishing Time:  2:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Weather: Sunny, calm, T-78
Moon Phase: 59% Moon
Location:  Back of Otay Arm in Lower Otay Lake
Best Bait:  Live shiner under a slip bobber, fished near reed line in 3-5 ft of water
Who Went:  Dunc
Work finished early today, so I headed straight to the tackle shop to pick up some live shiners.  After that, it was off to Lower Otay Lake for some afternoon fishing in my float tube.  The area I fished today was new to me, and it looked like a largemouth oasis.  It was in the back bay of the Otay arm of Lower Otay Lake.  There were large trees coming out of the water and tullies everywhere.  I was excited to try it out. 

I worked the underwater tree stumps and along the tully lines trying to get my bait as far into the reeds as possible without letting the shiner snag me up.  Not much was happening, but after an hour or so, my bobber finally went down.  It was a small bass, but got me out of a skunk.  
I continued down the shoreline casting to every tree stump and close to the reeds.  I landed two more small bass, but that is all I could entice with the live shiners before running out. 
I changed to a Ned rig, but received no bites.  For such a great looking area, it didn’t produce like I had hoped.  Either way, it was fun to try some new water.  While kicking back in to shore I saw a big soft shelled turtle.  Took this photo, and you can see his little head popped up next to his large soft flat shell...

No comments: