Thursday, October 19, 2023

Hidden Gem in the Desert

Fishing Time: 6:00 to 7:00 PM
Weather: Sunny, calm, T-70s
Moon Phase: 25% Moon
Best Bait: Whopper Plopper - Topwater
Who Went: Mike Kraus, Alex Covili, Devin Duncan, Dayton Duncan, Dunc

I heard rumors about this little reservoir that is right outside St. George and we were in the area for the weekend so we decided to go check it out.  We arrived about an hour before dark and it was beautiful with the sunset in full glory. 

We all tied on some topwater baits and went to work.  There is a weed line that covers most of the little reservoir and everything between the weed line and shoreline that had access by foot seemed to be less than 1 foot deep.  This made fishing difficult and so I took a walk around the reservoir to see if there were any areas that I might have better access. 

On the other side of the reservoir I found a little canal that entered the reservoir and decided to make a cast.  As soon as my lure hit the water, I had a fish on.  The first largemouth of the night.  I called my boys and told them to come over.  I made two more casts which produced two more bites but didn’t land them.  Once the boys arrived I showed them where I was getting bit, but they had a bad angle and ended up getting snagged and never could hit the target.  I started casting again but never got another bite.  The boys went back to fishing the reservoir and I made the journey back around the lake.  I received a phone call from Devin a few minutes later and he had landed this little largemouth on topwater.  Success!

We fished until dark but only landed the two fish.  I would love to revisit this little reservoir in my float tube where I could get beyond the weed line.  The lake looked promising and could be holding some nice bass.  Next time…

No comments: