Saturday, August 22, 2009

Why do you hate me Deer Creek?

Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Weather: Sunny, hot, high 90's
Moon Phase: 7% moon
Location: Deer Creek (east of island along rocky shoreline)
Bait: Everything!
Who Went: Me
I had a hard time deciding on a place to fish this weekend. I had it pre-planned to take my float tube and leave the boat at home to save money, and I wanted to try somewhere that I don't fish often. The spot I narrowed it down to was Deer Creek Reservoir. Its close to home, and probably the one reservoir within close proximity to my house that I don't know much about. I wish I could say I increased my knowledge while fishing there, but unfortunately I didn't have much success. I was mainly fishing for trout and walleye, and I used an assortment of different tactics to try and entice them with. I tried jigging with a tube jig tipped with worm. I tossed curly tailed grubs. I threw rapalas and spinners. I tried dragging the bottom with tube jigs and curly tailed grubs trying to find the walleye. I also drop-shotted a gulp minnow thinking that might peak their interest. I fished depths from 1 foot all the way out to about 40 feet of water, and after 3 hours of no bites, I decided to fish for the only species I have caught consistently up there, Smallmouth Bass. I rigged up a drop-shot with a roboworm and started casting towards the rocky shoreline, and within a few casts I had a hit but did not hook up. Shortly after getting hit, I landed the first fish of the day with this 10-12 incher.I Had a couple more bass that wanted to play, along with one small bluegill, but that was it for the trip. Once again I left Deer Creek Reservoir with a dissapointed feeling and wished I had went somewhere else! I did stop by the Provo River right below the Jordanelle Reservoir Dam to see what it was all about. I have heard stories of some big Brown Trout coming from this area, but have steered clear of this stretch of river due to the fact that its a fly fishing hot zone. Unless you pull up to the parking lot in a suburu, and get out of the Suby decked out in your columbia fly fishing gear and russle around the river banks turning over rocks to find the hatch, then you can feel a little out of place. You also have to go back to the car and sit on your bumper and tie your own fly matching that newly found hatch, and then go out and be "one with the river," as you fling your pocket lint around. This is the life of a true purist fisherman! Whatever, I went anyway, and just as I described I pulled up to a parking lot full of Suburu's and a bunch of hippie lookin dudes hanging out together tying flies and drinking pale ale. I hopped out of the truck, grabbed my spinning rod, tied on a rapala right in front of them matching my hatch, and headed down to the river. Unfortunately the river is still running very fast and it made it impossible to fish a rapala effectively and I didn't end up catching anything, but I explored the area and I think it could be a great place to fish in the fall when the river settles down. All in all it was an average trip, but it beats sitting on the couch.

No comments: