Monday, September 9, 2024

Biting Bass and Lockjaw Musky at Newton Reservoir

Fishing Time: 7:30 am to 2:00 pm

Weather: Mostly sunny, calm morning and breezy afternoon, T-80s

Moon Phase: 35% Moon

Location: Newton Reservoir

Water Temp: 66 degrees

Best Bait: Silver Ned Rig (green pumpkin), Spinnerbait, and Kietech swimbait (2.5-inch)

Who Went: Dunc

I continued my quest for a musky bite at Newton Reservoir knowing full well I was bass fishing and not musky fishing.  The launch was a bit tricky with no one to help me and no docks in the water.  Luckily no one was around so I could take my time and made it work. I tried throwing baits that I knew would catch bass, but also gave me a chance at a musky.  I did tie on one musky bait which I threw for about 20 minutes with no luck.

The bass fishing did produce although it wasn’t fast and furious.  I had to work hard for them, and I never did find a pattern that consistently produced. I ended up catching 8 bass and almost all of them hit on something different.  Largest was around 2 pounds.

I caught them on a ned rig, spinnerbait, swimbait, senko, and a roboworm on a drop-shot rig.  I did try some crankbaits, rattletraps, and chatterbaits with no success, but watched a guy in a boat near me catch one on a chatterbait, so it was just one of those days.  

The weather was gorgeous, and I only counted 3 other boats on the water all day.  There is no better way to relax your mind than a quiet day on the water.

No comments: