Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Good Day Off!

Moon Phase:
Fishing: Time: All Day
Weather: cool, cloudy, 50's

So I just landed a new job with Parsons Engineering working in their Environmental Group and I put my two weeks in with Amec! Yeah! I had some vacation built up with Amec and one of the days was a personal day and they don't pay it out when you leave so I said okay then I'm gonna use it! I decided to go on an all day fishing excursion all around the state starting with Yuba Reservoir. From there I would go wherever the wind blew me. I got up early and made it to Yuba just in time for a beautiful sunrise.
The lake was glass and looked beautiful on a crisp cool march morning. I had heard rumors that there were some big rainbows down at Yuba so here was my chance to find out. I started fishing just south of the dam along a rocky shoreline. I could see rainbows swimming the banks and they were about 16 to 17 inches long from what I could tell. The problem was I could not get them to take anything. I tried throwing spinners, Rapalas, jigs, and a drop shot with a live worm. The only thing I could get to hit were the aannoying Perch that infest Yuba. The Perch were good sized at about 12 to 13 inches but not worth the time. I hate Perch! So I moved on with my fishing adventure and left Yuba. On my drive out I got a good shot of a Golden Eagle that was hanging out in some big trees along the lake. I was trying to decide where to go and thought to myself "I know where I can catch some trout." I headed up Hobble Creek Canyon. I knew I could catch some fish there guaranteed. Luckily I came prepared with waders so I could walk up stream instead of fishing from the bank. The stream is gorgeous this time of year and just like I thought the fish were everywhere. They were all Brown Trout ranging from 8-14 inches, but they fought like they were much bigger. After playing with the Brownies for a few hours I figured it was time to continue on down the road in search of more fishies. Next stop Utah Lake. I went to the Lincoln Beach Boat Harbor in search of anything that might take a worm or chub. I fished on the south dike and threw in a worm on one pole and a chub on another and relaxed after a long adventurous day. No fish were hitting at Utah Lake so after an hour or so I called it a day. What better way to spend my last day off at Amec. I love it! (Lincoln Beach Boat Harbor)

No comments: