Friday, May 25, 2007

Pathetic!

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Weather: sunny, clear, 80's


Another Friday off and decisions on where to fish! I wasn't in the mood to travel to far so I decided to hit an urban pond that has created quite a buzz this year! Salem Pond! They planted largemouth in their a couple years back and they have gotten to be pretty good size from the stories and pictures I've heard and seen. I got there around 8:00 a.m. to find this Grass Carp dead on the shoreline. I walked to another edge of the pond and instantly saw Bluegill lining the shoreline under any structure they could find. I also saw a few Largemouth swimming around the same structure and they were just like the stories I had heard. some of them had to push 18 inches. Only problem was I couldn't get them to hit for nothin. I threw an assortment of drop shot rigs from plastic worms to minnows and I also tried many different colors of curly tailed grubs. Not even a bite! I did find a new bait that is killer for channel cats. Last weekend on my Powell trip I started throwing a Gulp Minnow in black shad color and instantly caught Catfish after Catfish. Well now I did the same thing at Salem pond. I only caught one cause I only fished with it for a minute, but the Cats obviously love this new rig. Unfortunately this Channel Cat was the only thing I pulled out of Salem Pond all morning! On my way home I got an itchin to stop at Utah Lake where Spring Creek enters the lake. I dropped a float tube in and started fishing a dark green sparkled plastic worm rigged drop shot. On my first cast I had a hit of a lifetime and got the fish all the way to my tube when the fish dove strait down into some brush and got me tangled up. I ended up losing the fish! 3rd cast I had another one on and the same thing happened. I was getting very frustrated cause I was obviously sitting right on top of some nasty brush. It only got worse from there! On my 5th cast I caught another one that only stayed on for about 3 seconds before spitting my hook. Being more frustrated than I think I have ever been while fishing I didn't get another bite all day. Ouch that one hurt. So to wrap up my day in one word the only thing I could think of was PATHETIC!

No comments: