Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I-80 Pond

Fishing Time: 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Weather: Warm 80's
Who Went: Me

I have been hesitant to fish the I-80 ponds during the month of May since all of my past experiences have told me that it doesn't really turn on until June! The weather has been unbelievably warm in the 90's for the past 4 or 5 days though, so it made me wonder if I could catch them in spawn mode. I have still yet to figure out when the bass at the I-80 ponds spawn. I got there at around 6:00 and the water temp felt somewhat warm to the touch. Another float tuber was on his way in when I launched and gave me the dreaded news before I even started fishing! He got skunked! This disheartened me to say the least, but I was already there so I launched anyway! I started by throwing a sparkle green Senko but had no success. I then threw on one of my favorite new plastics, the Roboworm. I was using a two toned worm with oxblood and green pumpkin. Soon after I started throwing the Roboworm rigged drop shot style, I caught my first Largemouth of the evening weighing 3 pounds. I then casted continuously for about an hour with no bites. I was about to change techniques when I pulled in my second bass of the night weighing 4 pounds. I love this place! This bass showed signs of post spawning, so I am that much closer to dialing in on when they spawn out here. Shortly after I caught one more dink bass and that would be it for the night, or would it?! It was pretty much dark at this point and I should have been off the water a half hour earlier but since I was already there and had to flipper my way back to my launch area anyway, I decided to throw on a topwater spook in perch colors and drag it along as I went! I was just about to reach the shoreline where I load up the tube, in my mind giving up on the topwater, and then Wham! Another 3 pound bass! With a grin on my face I loaded up the tube and went home.

No comments: