Friday, June 13, 2008

A Change At The I-80 Pond

Fishing Time: 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Weather: high 80's, clear
Who Went: Me

I had Friday off this week and it was well needed with work being very slow at Parsons. I decided to make the most of my day and headed out bright and early to the I-80 Pond. I started by throwing the old reliable using a roboworm on a drop shot set up. I have noticed a big change from this year compared to last. Last year I caught tons of bass out of the pond, usually up to 20 a trip. This year the catch rate has went way down, but the average size has went way up. Last year I would catch about 18 dinks (6-12 inches) and 2 nice bass. I caught 7 bass today and only one was under 2 pounds with the biggest at 3. I will gladly take the new pond over the old one as catching 6 inch bass is not what I'm looking for! I don't know whether the big bass had a baby bass feast, or if the little ones just aren't liking what I'm offering. Either way is fine with me! The first bass I caught today had a small bass fry in his mouth, so I changed my offering from a roboworm to a gulp minnow in pearl white. It proved to be a good move as I started landing bass more often. All the bass today were a carbon copy of the others. Then I found this guy tucked back in a little shaded inlet full of thick reeds. He was the big boy of the day coming in at 3 pounds. He was the same length as the others but had a full belly. If this change sticks at the I-80 Pond it may make for fewer bass to catch, but man the possibilities on size are endless!

No comments: