Saturday, January 17, 2009

Good Luck vs. Bad Luck

Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, no wind, perfect
Moon Phase: 50% moon
Location: East Portal Bay, Strawberry Reservoir
Bait: 3" White tube jig tipped with carp minnows
Ice Conditions: 12" of ice with 6" of snow on top
Who Went: John, Wisconsin Joe, Me
My friend John called me on Friday to let me know that his Uncle Joe from Wisconsin was in town, and they were headed to Strawberry to help him catch his first ever Cutthroat Trout! I had some work issues on Saturday, but figured them out as I usually do with a chance to go fishing. We were on the ice at around 7:30 and hiked from the marina towards the back of East Portal Bay. After about a 3/4 mile walk we found our spot. Just as we got set up I had the first fish of the day with this average size Cutthroat. Soon after that, John went on a little run and put 2 or 3 on the ice along with this nice cutthroat. It took Joe a little while to figure out how to get these cutthroat onto the ice as he lost his first 3 right at the surface. Once he figured it out though, he put on what I called a Wisconsin clinic! He started by catching his first ever cutthroat! He ended by landing this really nice 23 inch 4 pound Cutthroat! We started calling him the Wisconsin Wiggler as his jigging technique put more fish on the ice than any of us! Always the newcomer I kept telling him! This is the third straight ice fishing trip at the Berry where I did not win in the final fish tally! I must be losing my touch! Then, after what seemed like another perfect day on the ice at the Berry, here came the fish cops to ruin our fun. They asked to see our licenses. I handed him mine with all the confidence in the world! He then let me know that I was 6 days late in renewing my yearly license! I begged and pleaded for a little lee way but it was to no avail! I ended up getting a ticket for no license! Not the greatest way to end a good fishing trip, but lesson learned I guess!

No comments: