Friday, January 16, 2009

Grantsville First and Last Trip

Fishing Time: 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Weather: Warm and smoggy
Moon Phase: 64% moon
Location: Grantsville Reservoir
Bait: Pearl white whatta cricket tipped with meal worm
Ice Conditions: 10" of cloudy ice, no snow, shoreline had weak ice and some open water
Who Went: Me

I got off work early Friday and wanted to hit the ice. I wasn't in for a long drive since I was leaving at 12:30, so I thought about a place I had never fished, Grantsville Reservoir! I got there around 1:30 and noticed there was some open spots in the ice, but was sure it was thick enough to walk on after seeing this crazy guy! He was fishing open water from the ice!
I pulled down to the south boat ramp and got on the ice from there. I Talked to a few guys as I was walking out and they told me the fishing was really slow. I picked a spot in 18 feet of water and set up shop! Grantsville is a really ugly reservoir just outside the town of Grantsville. Its a hole made by a berm of rocks and gravel all the way around. It's also low in elevation so I didn't escape the inversion, so it made for some ugly scenery!
I saw a few fish on the fish finder that would come up and take a look at what I was offering and then cruise right on by. I finally did get one to hit but it was so light that I never did get a chance to set a hook in him. I sat there for 3 hours staring at a fish finder that looked like this.
The one line you see in the pic is my jig, with nothing but blankness all around it! By 4:00 I had enough and walked back to the truck parked on the ramp.
I have heard of some good Brown Trout coming out of this reservoir, but it's safe to say I will probably never see any of them. This place was not my cup of tea! Ugly, and smoggy, I think this was my first and last trip to Grantsville Reservoir!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good stay away and never come back! Dick!