Saturday, July 30, 2011

Catfish Quicky at Utah Lake

Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Weather: partly cloudy, no wind, 80’s
Moon Phase: New Moon
Location: Utah Lake
Bait: White bass and worms
Who Went: John, Johns brother in-law, MeMy buddy John was heading down to Utah Lake today to kitty cat fish so I thought I would drop in and surprise him and throw out a line for a couple hours. I pulled up to the lone tree on the west side of West Mountain at around 8:00 a.m. They already had one channel cat on a stringer. I rigged up two rods, one with a bobber and a worm using a 3 foot leader, and the other with an egg sinker and white bass meat. The bottom fishing with the egg sinker was by far the most successful method out-fishing the bobber 4 to 1. We caught about 8 channel cats along with a few white bass to mix it up. John took them all home to filet and eat. Catfishing from shore can be one of the most enjoyable and non-stressful ways to fish.

I drove by the “L” at Lincoln Beach on my way home and it’s almost completely submerged with water. I snapped some pictures to document it.I also snapped a few photos of the Lincoln Beach Boat Ramp because I’ve never seen it so high. The south dike is almost under water. I can remember only 6 years ago being in a major drought and people couldn’t even launch a boat at this ramp! Amazing how times change so quickly.

No comments: