Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Fathers Day

Fishing Time:  2:30 PM to 3:30 PM
Weather:  Sunny, clear, T-80s
Moon Phase:  91% Moon
Location:  South Jordan Community Pond
Bait:  Worm under a slip bobber
Who Went:  Cari, Devin, Addison, Dayton, Bobber John, Carter, Me

It’s father’s day and the only present I asked for was to take my family fishing.  At least for as long as they would last.  Turns out that was 1 hour.
I received a tip from my buddies Rick and John who were at the community pond the night before with Ricks daughters and said the catfish were on fire.  Must have just stocked it.  Maybe for father’s day.  They sent me this picture of one of the catfish that Ricks daughter Dylan caught.  Not bad for a community pond. 
The pond is only a few miles from my house, so this was a great option.  I rigged three rods, packed some gear and lunch, and off we went.  John and his nephew were at the pond when we arrived and already had two catfish on a stringer.  Good sign.  I helped the kids cast each rod out into the pond and the fishing began. 
The kids didn’t really love the patience part of fishing.  We had line tangles and and crying within minutes.  Luckily Dayton found more interest in finding bugs and left his rod alone.  It wasn’t long until his bobber disappeared and we had a catfish on.  I handed the rod to Devin and I was amazed at how well he did reeling the fish in.  The fish was even pulling drag, but he stuck with it.  You can check out the action by clicking on the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGz16nenI1Y 
After the catfish was landed the kids decided they liked casting and reeling in way more than staring at a bobber waiting for it to go underwater.  So, no more fish were landed by the Duncan clan.  By the time the hour was up, we had three rods and reels in complete disarray.  We loaded the kids and the whirl wind that is the Duncan family was gone.  I’m sure the rest of the fishermen at the pond thanked us, but I was happy.  I finally got to take all three of the kids fishing together, even if there wasn’t much fishing involved.

No comments: