Sunday, June 29, 2014

Musky Time

Fishing Time:  5:30 AM to 2:00 PM
Weather:  Sunny, clear, T-80s, breezy after 12:00 PM
Moon Phase:  5% Moon
Location:  Pineview Reservoir
Water Temp:  69 degrees
Best Bait:  Musky- wacky rigged senkos, swimbaits, cutbait
Who Went:  Bobber John, Me
Bobber John and I had big plans to do an extreme day trip down to Fish Lake, but when the forecast called for morning winds of 16 mph and 25 mph by afternoon, I couldn’t get myself to do it.  On the contrary, the forecast at Pineview was for 1 mph winds up until noon.  This sounded much more appealing and we took the bait.  Luckily, the forecast was right and we had a gorgeous day on the water, right up until the entire town of Ogden showed up around noon.  Coincidentally, that’s when the wind started blowing as well.  Good, make them suffer!

Prior to the recreational boaters and wind pushing us off the lake earlier than we would have liked, we did get some fishing in.  I took a different approach this trip after two previous trips throwing swimbaits and other large fish imitating lures only left me with a sore back and no muskies to show for it.  I started by throwing a dark green senko rigged wacky.  I used a homemade leader made from 80 lb monofilament line just in case a musky took interest.  It wasn’t long until the smallmouth noticed my offering and I was able to pull a few into the boat.  
Nothing big, but at least it was a fish on the end of my line.  Bobber switched baits often with a jig/trailer getting most the action.  Early morning was a bust and produced no muskies.
Late morning arrived and I was finally greeted with a bite that felt a little more aggressive than a smallmouth and it was finally game on.  After a short but strong fight I was able to land this musky…
It’s not a monster, but I was long overdue so no complaining.  These fish seem to be more tightly lipped than I can ever remember.  It was the only musky hit we had all day and I think I’ve had my fill of constant casting with no success for these toothy critters.  This musky should satisfy the urge for awhile.  You can check out the musky action by clicking on the link below…

No comments: