Monday, February 19, 2024

Rippin Perch at Rockport with the Kids

Fishing Time: 8:00 am to 11:30 am

Weather: Cloudy, calm, T-20s

Moon Phase: 80% Moon

Location: Rockport Reservoir

Best Baits: Northland Buckshot Spoons tipped with perch eyes

Who Went: Devin, Addi, Dunc

Today is my birthday and for a gift my family said they would all go ice fishing with me.  My buddy Casey has been having good luck for perch up at Rockport, so I figured close to home with fast fishing was perfect for the family.  Unfortunately, Dayton woke up to a 102-degree fever, so Cari stayed home to take care of him and Devin and Addi made the trip with me.

We followed the directions Casey gave me and found his spot but quickly realized I forgot the bait at home.  Luckily mom packed us some string cheese so we added a nibble to our ice spoons and they seemed to like it just fine.  Once the first perch was on the ice we sacrificed him for some perch eye bait.  Devin and Addi each put quite a few perch on the ice, but nothing with any size and we didn’t find any trout willing to bite. 

It was a short but fun trip with Dev and Addi on my birthday. Watching them try to get the ice sled back up the hill to the parking lot was probably the highlight of the trip (link below)!  Thank you to my family for making my birthday great and to my wife for taking one for the team and staying home with Dayt.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gallery/iEnp3bxCTy-0rywymQjYdw?sf=1&ref_=APH_SNT77

No comments: