Sunday, March 17, 2024

Utah Lake in March is Dead to Me...

Fishing Time: 7:30 am to 1:00 pm

Weather: Breezy, partly cloudy, T-60 degrees

Moon Phase: 50% Moon

Location: Utah Lake

Best Bait: Curly tailed grub on 1/16 oz jig head

Who Went: Casey Davies, Dunc

Itching to get the boat out and enjoy some warm weather after winter, I invited Casey to join me at Utah Lake for the annual walleye chase.  The night before I checked the blog to look at past success in March at Utah Lake.  Needless to say, we should have picked a different lake.  I counted a whopping total of 3 walleye caught in my boat during the month of March in the past 17 years.  How have I not learned?  So, I’m saying it now… Utah Lake is dead to me in March from here forward!

We started the morning with some battery issues, but were able to remedy the problem quickly and made our way to Bird Island.  It was breezy and cold, but we gave it a good effort for a couple hours before giving up with no bites.  It just feels like nothing is living in the lake this time of year.

We moved to the mouth of the Provo, only to realize they have moved the mouth of the river to the north and we were just fishing a back canyon bay.  Either way we were still without a bite.  I took Casey over to what used to be my secret cold water bass honey hole, but in recent years its no secret and has been fished out.  We gave it a good effort, but only caught one small largemouth to get the skunk off.

It was still good to get out and enjoy the sun and scenery.  The bald eagles were out on display and the 60 degree weather felt amazing after a cold start to the morning.

No comments: