Monday, January 1, 2007

2007 starts with a BANG!

Ice fishing started off with a bang this year with Chris showing his friends how it's done. We arrived early in the morning to Strawbery Reservoir and decided that north of the marina was the spot of choice. The area was chosen due to a big cutthroat that Dave couldn't quite get out of his ice hole in this spot last year. We also had an old newcomer with Justin Hunt being in town for the holidays from his new home in Rio Vista, California. The fishing started a little slow with JJ finally pulling in the first fish of the day at about 8:30. He was using the traditional Strawberry ice set up with a white tube jig tipped with a minnow. From there an occassional fish was brought in about every half hour until noon. This was the time that I decided to put on a clinic. From 12:00 until about 2:00 I couldn't keep them off. I pulled in 11 cutthroat while Dave and JJ were stuck on the number two. Hunt had four but with his competitive fishing nature he was not happy to see me putting on a show. One of the 11 cutts that were caught went 4 pounds making everybody even more jeolous. Now the hole pirating had begun and I found my ice hole surrounded by new holes with everybody fishing right next to me. It didn't matter I just kept pulling them in while everyone was left to wonder if it was what I was doing or if I just drilled my hole right over the fish diner. Either way I ended up catching 11 while Dave and JJ stayed at 2 and Hunt at 4. We were all using a white tube jig tipped with a minnow. What a great start to the 07 season!

No comments: