Friday, July 4, 2008

Avoiding the Masses

Fishing Time: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Weather: Hot, cloudy, breezy, 100 degrees
Who Went: Me

It's Fourth of July weekend and the last place I wanted to be was out on the water with thousands of other boats. I went for a more secluded fishing hole and tried to get lost from the masses along the shoreline of the Jordan River. I located myself about a half mile north of the pump house at Inlet Park in Lehi. I loaded one pole with shrimp and carp meat for the kitties and put a white speckled jig on my other pole to see what else I could catch. The kitty fishing was fast and furious! I was landing mud cats left and right and it didn't leave much time to fish for anything else. A few channels got into the mix as well but didn't have much size.
When the catfish finally slowed down a little, it gave me a chance to throw a jig for a minute. I threw it into some thick brush along the rivers shoreline and pulled out this little Bluegill. I kept throwing the jig in hope of a possible Largemouth or a Walleye but it wasn't to be. I had a few more Bluegills hit but a 3 inch jig was to big and made it hard to set the hook on these tiny fish. I went back to catfishing and continued to catch mud cats with ease. around 11:00 the catfishing started to die and the temps were approaching 100 degrees so I started my journey back to the truck. On my way back I saw some surface action in some brush and it didn't look like carp. I tossed my jig in to find out and instantly hooked up with a white bass.
I let this one go and tossed in again and hooked up with another White Bass. I was throwing into really thick brush and I soon lossed my last two white speckled jigs. I replaced it with a black with blue sparkle jig. The bass wouldn't touch it! So with no more white jigs I called it a day. It was a great multi species day on the Jordan River and I achieved my goal of avoiding the Fourth of July masses.

No comments: