Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Smallmouth Heaven

Fishing Time: 4:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m
Weather: 90 degrees, windy
Water Temp: 68-70 degrees
Who Went: Phil, JJ, Dave, Me
The one lake in Utah that has always seemed to get the best of me is Jordanelle Reservoir. I have listened to story after story about how Jordanelle produces the biggest Smallmouth in the state along with some of the biggest Brown Trout. I have spent countless hours on this water only catching enough fish for a small fish fry. Don't get me wrong, I have had some okay days at the Nelle, but more times than not I have been humbled. Today was a different story! We didn't put any state records in the boat, but we did catch a lot of bass ranging anywhere from 3 to 16 inches. Phil had the hot hand for larger fish catching most of our fish over 12 inches.
I caught a lot of bass but only a few that passed the 12 inch mark. JJ did okay putting quite a few smaller bass in the boat as well, but only a couple over 12 inches.
Dave struggled today catching only four small bass, but did have the trips only trout with a pan sized rainbow caught on Phil's X-Rap that after catching a fish soon found a new home in the top of a tree. The wind blew constantly all evening with it only calming to a swift breeze by night fall. We lost about 50 dollars worth of tackle to the submerged trees, but I finally had a large quantity day at the Nelle. Total fish caught was around 50.

No comments: