Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lot of Work with no Reward!

Fishing Time: Friday and Saturday- 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Weather: Friday- Cold and windy, clear skies. Saturday- warm, no wind, clear skies.
Moon Phase: Friday- 92% moon, Saturday- 86%
Location: Utah Lake
Bait: Curly tail grubs, minnows, and white bass
Who Went: Friday- Phil, Me, Saturday- JJ, Me
I went on a quest for walleye this weekend and was determined to come home successful! Of course that didn't go as planned. Friday evening my cousin Phil and I hit the Provo Boat Harbor for the first trip. We casted jigs for 5 straight hours with nothing but an occasional snag to call a bite. We tried every color of jig in the tackle box and every technique we could think of. We retrieved it slow, medium, fast, we even tried dead sticking it for awhile and got nothing. We drove out to Bird Island for a minute to try our luck there, but as soon as we showed up the wind god decided to show his face. It didn't take us long before deciding to head back to the harbor. Bird Island did look pretty neat close up with all the wind blown ice that has lodged its way on top. It was an unsuccessful day and we threw everything we had at them. Phil told me that if I was gonna go out again on Saturday after that kind of success that I must have lost my mind! So, Saturday JJ and I hit it up again! This time we started the trip by buzzing over to the Saratoga Springs Harbor to see if we could even catch a fish, walleye or not. I was trying to catch largemouth and while I was JJ was pulling in white bass left and right! This is when I realized I really am losing my mind! In the old days I would have switched up my offering and hammered the white bass with him and called it a successful day, but I'm getting older and a little more stubborn and find myself only caring about catching the fish that are considered tough to catch! I tried for 3 hours to land a largemouth with only one bite, which I missed! I was so focused on catching a largemouth that I didn't even remember to get a picture of JJ with one of his white bass he caught. We did save one white bass for bait at our next stop. Once it got close to dark we headed over to the American Fork River outlet to see if we could land one of these elusive walleye. The backdrop was beautiful looking out at Mount Timp.
The weather was unreal for early march and when we got to the river the lake was glass and the temperature was well above normal. We loaded up two poles with white bass for bait and tossed them out, then casted well into dark with our other poles using jigs hoping to land at least one walleye! But, it didn't happen and I went home skunked for the second day in a row! You can tell how determined I was by the amount of pictures I took. I didn't set the rod down for two days straight and have nothing to show for it! My goal this year is to figure out Utah Lakes walleye and largemouth, even if it means coming home empty handed a few times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,

i am student and doing research on night Fishing (alone). If you don't mind, could you please spend some minutes and let me know what are the difficulties you face when you fish at night. With tools or fishes and you wish you had something like...... that could help you for more effective night fishing alone.

thanks a lot and very nice blog indeed.

My name is Aisha and my e-mail is bg_aishaz@yahoo.com.hk

it would be a great help. thanks once again. =)