Friday, August 16, 2024

Hidden White Bass Honey Hole in West Valley City

 

Fishing Time: 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm

Weather: Sunny, calm winds, T-90s

Moon Phase: 50% Moon

Location: Ridgeland Canal (West Valley City)

Best Bait: Silver Mepp’s Spinner

Who Went: Dunc

I heard about a canal in West Valley City not far from my work that held largemouth bass so I wanted to go check it out.  Upon arrival I first noticed that the canal was very shallow at around one foot deep.  It also had a moss covered bottom so that didn’t leave a lot of water column to work with. 

I first tried casting a jig and trailer, but it was to mossy to be affective.  I tied on a curly tailed grub and that started getting bites, but for whatever reason they kept nipping at the tail and I wasn’t hooking up.

Finally, I tied on a mepp’s spinner and that was the ticket.  I immediately started hooking up, but it wasn’t largemouth I was catching, it was white bass.  For the next half hour I consistently got bit and had a lot of fun.  I never did catch a largemouth though and I’d like to go back and give it another shot.

No comments: