Monday, August 19, 2024

Mountain Air and big Tiger's at Electric Lake

Fishing Time: 7:00 am to 1:00 pm

Weather: Partly Cloudy, calm (no wind), T-70s

Moon Phase:  Full Moon

Location:  Electric Lake

Best Bait: White Tube jig on 1/8 oz jig head, Trolling with pop gear and a worm

Who Went: Casey Davies, Dunc

With summer quickly coming to an end I realized that I needed to get up into the mountain air.  I talked with Casey at work, and we decided we should go up to Electric Lake and give it a try.  I’ve fished there many years ago, but never put my boat on it.  It rained hard the night before, and the lake was socked in with fog when we arrived.  It made for a cool morning, but the lake was glass, and it was gorgeous.

The first thing we did was study the contours and try to find some lake trout, we tried a couple areas that looked fishy on the map, but never did find them.  After that we started working points and bays using tube jigs.  I was able to get my active target working and it was incredible.  We started seeing fish immediately and were able to cast right to them.  It didn’t take long until I was hooked up with what ended up being the fish of the trip, and a 20-inch tiger trout.

We continued throwing jigs at them and they would come investigate, but we only hooked up a couple more times.  Once the sun came up, we switched tactics and started trolling.  I brought the downriggers which made it nice to adjust our depth as needed.  I was using a silver crocodile and Casey was using a red Tasmanian Devil.  I hooked up quick with a decent cutthroat, but then it slowed down. 

We made our way down to the dam and Casey put on the trusty pop gear and a worm and man that was the ticket!  He immediately started catching fish.  He caught quite a few tiger trout and some cutthroat.  It took me a minute, but I finally made the switch and joined in on the catching.

It was a successful outing, and the scenery and weather was incredible.  We saw deer, elk, and the biggest osprey nest I have ever seen.  On the way home we stopped to check out the water below Scofield Reservoir because the rumor is it’s littered with monster Tiger Musky that don’t bite.  We found both rumors to be true!

(Osprey Nest on Electric Lake overflow)
(I could see eight 40+ inch Tiger Musky in this hole below the Scofield Dam)

No comments: