Thursday, February 18, 2016

Bass Spawn Overnight...

Fishing Time:  February 15 to 18, 2016
Weather:  Sunny and clear, T-80s
Moon Phase:  50 to 84% Moon
Water Temp:  Morning - 62, Afternoon - 68
Location:  Colorado River, Arizona
Best Bait:  Texas rigged green pumpkin senko (8 oz wt)
Who Went:  Dunc

First let me start by saying that this week was unusually slow fishing, but the few I landed were a bit larger in the 3 pound range.  This made the slow fishing bearable. 
Then one day towards the end of the week it happened.  I came home from work and decided to stop in at the store at the marina and ran into a couple bass fishermen sitting in their boat drinking a beer after a long day of fishing.  I casually asked them if they left any fish in the lake for me and they told me they only landed one bass all day, but they were everywhere in the shallows on beds.  What?!  On beds?!  I haven’t seen a fish in the shallows since being here.  How could this be?  I asked them where they were fishing and sure enough it was the same area I fish.  I talked to them for a bit then drove home in complete confusion.  Once home I ran down to the dock and I couldn’t believe it.  Just as I hit the dock at least 5 bass swam from the shallows into deeper water.  I looked down and there was a bass bed built right in front of my boat.  A few seconds later the bass came back to guard his bed.  The spawn literally triggered overnight!  Crazy! 

Unfortunately I had to leave the next day for home.  It’s my daughter’s birthday.  Can’t miss that!  I’m still amazed that one day no bass were to be found and the next day they are swarming all over in the shallows.  Next weekend my family will be down here to spend the weekend with me, so hopefully I can get the kids into a few fish.

No comments: