Sunday, March 9, 2008

A First For Dunc

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Weather: clear, low 50's no wind
Who Went: John, Me
After winning $110 dollars in poker from Cari's family last night, I finally had enough gas money to go to Redmond Reservoir. Redmond is a small reservoir south of Gunnison. I have always wanted to go there because it holds a specific type of fish that I have yet to catch, a Northern Pike! I called John to see if he would join me and he said yes, so we were on our way. I have never been there so when we arrived we just pointed to an area and said, "okay looks good." I put on an anchovy 3 feet underneath a big bobber on one pole, and an anchovy with a sinker on the other. I tossed them out and now it was a waiting game! Wondering if we made a bad choice on the spot we chose, John's pole went flying off the bank and darn near into the lake! He grabbed it and jerked, but the pike bit right threw his line, and was gone! Soon after, I had a taker and the fight was on! I had my first ever pike right to the shore and then snap! I lost him. Oh Man was I upset! I rigged again and threw back out. Suddenly, I had a pole launcher, and I mean completely airborne, my pole flew in the air four feet before it hit the ground! These pike hit like freight trains! I was able to land this one, and it was now official, my first Northern Pike! The action didn't stop either, I caught five pike with the biggest at 27 inches! John didn't have as much luck today but a lot of it was him helping to land mine and missing hits. I caught them both under the bobber as well as on the bottom, and I never thought that pike fishing could be as fast as this was. We only fished for 3 hours and between the two of us we had at least 12 hits. This is definitely a lake I will be returning to. It was a lot of fun!

No comments: