Friday, March 7, 2008

A Spring Trip!

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Weather: Clear, now wind, high 40's
Who Went: Me
With another week of warm weather, and all the lakes still with ice on them, I had to get creative. I cruised up to Thistle Creek to play with some more Brown Trout! It was really cold when I got there at 8:00 a.m. and my eyelets kept freezing up, along with my hands! It made it tough to fish! I started by throwing a copper blue fox spinner but had no luck! I went to the trusty floating worm and then started to catch fish. The second fish I caught was a nice Brown pushing probably 18 or 19 inches, it came off the hook on the shoreline so I hurried and pushed him back in so he wouldn't flop all over the bank, so no pic. I did get a pick of this guy, and he was the size of the rest I caught. I soon ran out of worms so I was off to find new
water. I decided to take a chance at Battle Creek Tributary that runs into Utah Lake.It's a little early to catch warm water species, but I was lucky enough to catch a Largemouth there last year about this time. Needless to say I did not even get a bite! I threw gulp minnows, Senkos, and an earth worm, but to no avail! I headed on up the freeway and thought of a place that I could maybe score a Largemouth. There is a spot on the Jordan River by the pump house where a warm spring runs in. Its not hard to tell its a warm spring as you can see the steam rising off the water. The flow to the Jordan River is almost completely shut off this time of year so its more of a shallow pond than a river, and believe it or not you can see right through the water (Usually the Jordan River is very muddy). When I got there I instantly saw a bass swimming along the shoreline that probably went 4 pounds. I had no idea this little hole held such large bass! I tried to hurry so I could get a picture of him but of course I just missed him. I did get a picture of a few smaller bass also hanging out along the shoreline.
I started throwing a Senko on a weighted hook with no success. I tried spinnerbaits and jigs, also with no success. I finally hooked up with my first Largemouth of the year with this whopper! I caught him on a chartreuse rooster tail. I kept throwing this rooster tail and
hooked up 3 more times with bass just like this one. I spent about two more hours hunting down the big boys and presenting them with a drop shot with a senko, but no takers. One thing I have learned is that when big bass can see you the odds of you catching them is slim to none! But it's still fun to try! Come on Ice off!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mind Texting me directions to that fishing spot?? 801-230-2773 or calling me would be fine to ^^