Saturday, March 1, 2008

Hobble Creek

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
weather: 50's, nice up there, very windy in the valley snowed 4 inches later that day
Who Went: Me
Its March, and the fishing starts to get tough during this month of teasing! One day it will be 65 and sunny, and the next day it will snow 5 inches! Ice fishing has died down and it has become tough to land many fish from the hard deck. The lakes are still iced over so it doesn't leave many other options. I just got a knew St. Croix Bass Rod for my birthday and was itchin to use it, so I had tofind open water to fish today. I didn't have much in mind so I figured I would sleep on it, then jump in the truck this morning and start driving til something stood out. Well, March decided to tease me cause it has been sunny and nice all week and when I woke up at 6:00 a.m. the wind was howling and a storm was brewing! I went back to bed and woke up around 8:30. The wind was still howling and I knew if I was going to fish today I had to find somewhere that the wind wouldn't effect me. The best place I could think of was Hobble Creek. Stuck between two steep mountains and many trees to block wind, it was the best option. I was right on! The wind died as soon as I started heading up the canyon. It was absolutely gorgeous up there! I threw on my waders, rigged my new pole with only a hook and a worm and began walking up stream. I soon found out that while my new bass pole had great sensitivity and was light weight and easy to handle, it is also a bass pole and is stiffer than most trout poles. It made flipping and casting a little tough for stream fishing! Many people ask me, "why do you have to have more than one pole to fish? there all the same right?" The best answer I can give them is, do you use your putter on the driving range? Each pole is designed for specific things. Bass fishing poles are not designed for stream use. I just really wanted to try my new pole out so I was willing to deal with the mis-application, and fished with it any way. Icaught 15 Brown Trout and it was a blast! It was beautiful up there and I had the whole stream all to myself! When I left and drove back into the valley the wind was crazy! It pushed me all over the road on my way home. Hobble Creek was a great choice for today's conditions!

No comments: