Friday, June 22, 2007

Lesson Learned!

Moon Phase:
Fishing Time: 6:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Weather: sunny, clear, 90's


With most of June being spent at the I-80 Pond I figured it was time to try somewhere new! Although I was tempted to go back for another round! Instead I hit Utah Lake in search of some hungry kitty cats! I thought I better take two poles so I could fish one for kitties and throw something else in case some of the bass were active. The problem is that two poles is kind of a lot to handle on the tube so I had a brilliant idea to take my normal pole along with an ice fishing pole to save room. My thought was that I could cast for bass with my long pole and drag a minnow for cats with my short pole. This ended up being a huge mistake and a good lesson learned! I set them both up and everything looked good. I started dragging a minnow and then casting. Within one minute a had a huge hit on my short pole so I grabbed it and tried to set the hook. Try setting a hook with a 3 foot ice pole! Ha! It doesn't work! I had the fish half way to me and he got off. I thought oh well I will re bait and try again. as soon as the little pole was in the water and I could start casting with my other pole again I got another good hit with the small pole. I grabbed it and yanked! Lost him! This was tough! I re baited and within another couple minutes another good hit only this time the kitty cat took it and hooked it himself so I thought I was good to go. Then I realized the other reason a 3 foot pole doesn't work, you can't play the fish! This was a good fish and it started fighting hard and taking line! I tried my best but after a couple minutes I lost him in the reeds. I finally wised up and rigged my long pole the same way and put the 3 footer on the shelf. Wouldn't you know it I couldn't get a hit after that! After an hour of no more hits I finally got one and pulled in a small Channel Cat! Soon after I pulled in another. Then I got another hit and this one took me for a ride. I thought I had a good Channel Cat on only to find a 4 pound carp! I snapped a photo just as my line broke! A fun day of fishing and a good lesson learned for the future! Leave the ice poles in the closet til there is a hard deck to fish from!

No comments: